If you’ve never started windows8 in safe mode, we’re here to help. If you’ve avoided booting into safe mode so far, that’s great. However, it’s a very useful method to know because there may come a time when you need to remove spyware, viruses or do some troubleshooting for diagnostic help. You would also need safe mode to change bad drivers. The good news is that like a lot of things, it’s not that difficult when you know how.
Methods and steps to start windows in safe mode
Here is our step by step guide to the two methods of starting Windows8 in safe mode.
If you are able to access Windows, this is the method to use. Here are the steps:
- Press the Windows key (in between Ctrl and ALT) and while holding it down, press the R key. This will open the Run dialog for you.
- You will see a box saying Type the name of a program, folder, document or Internet resource and windows will open it for you.’
- o Type msconfig into the box and click OK
- Click the Boot tab.
- Check the “Safe boot” box and choose “Minimal”
- Click Apply and your computer will boot into Safe Mode next time it restarts.
- You can restart it at this stage if you like.
These settings will make your computer boot up in Safe Mode every time.
To undo these settings, simply repeat these steps and when you get to System Configuration uncheck the “Safe boot” box.
This is the method to use if your computer has more than one (or multiple) operating systems installed on it. Here are the steps to follow:
- While your computer is booting up, press down the Shift key and hold it down. While you’re still holding it down, tap the F8 key repeatedly. This should bring up the Recovery Screen.
NOTE: If this doesn’t seem to work don’t give up. It may take several attempts and several reboots of your PC. This is quite normal.
- On the Recovery screen, click on See Advanced Repair Options’
- On the “Choose an option” screen, click Troubleshoot
- On the “Troubleshoot” screen, click Advanced options
- On the “Advanced options” screen, click Windows Startup Settings.
- On the “Windows Start, Settings” screen, click Restart
- When the computer restarts, you should see the standard “Choose Advanced Options” screen, which should have a similar list to the one below.
Choose Advanced Options from: Microsoft Windows 8
(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)
Repair Your Computer
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Enable Boot Logging
Enable low-resolution video
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement
Disable Early Launch Anti-Malware Driver
Start Windows Normally
Description: Start Windows with only the core drivers and services. Use
When you cannot boot after installing a new device or driver.
- Use your arrow keys to move the cursor up and down until it is highlighting “Safe Mode” and then press your Enter key.
We hope that this information has been helpful for you and taken some of the fear out of having to put Windows8 into safe mode. Just keep calm and follow the steps. Once you’ve done it, you’ll be surprised at how easy it is.